This is just a nice warm salad I wanted to share which is really filling and full of goodness. Tempeh still feels like a luxury ingredient to me as its something I was never fortunate enough to get donated very often on the ships, so I rarely got to cook with it. I remember getting so excited if we ever got tempeh donated and then I never knew what to do with it… especially when you only get one small block to share around a crew of 30!
Its so exciting being home and having more choice of ingredients… something I will definitely miss when I return to Africa in a months time.
So here you have it – my first indulgence of tempeh since being back home.
- 1 large beetroot, cut into wedges
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 250g cooked lentils
- 1 recipe tempeh chorizo (recipe below)
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2-3 cups rocket leaves (arugula)
- Start by heating the oven to 200°c and roasting the beetroot in 1 Tbsp of the olive oil for 20-25 minutes.
- Next heat the remaining olive oil on a medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the sliced onions and soften. Then add the lentils, chorizo and red wine vinegar, turn up the heat and stir until heated through.
- Add roasted beetroot and serve warm over a bed of rocket.
- 1 pack (8oz) tempeh
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1¼ cup vegetable stock
- ½ Tbsp agave nectar
- ½ Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ coriander
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp hot chili powder
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and crumble in the tempeh, cooking and browning on all sides.
- Whisk together in a jug the remaining ingredients, then pour over browned tempeh and bring to the boil. Simmer liquid for 5-10 minutes until liquid has been absorbed and evaporated. I like to then turn up the heat a bit and browned the tempeh once again to get it a bit crispy.