This is my second try at gluten free baking, and I am seriously enjoying playing with new ingredients. For this recipe I made my own quinoa flour, and has really encouraged me to try and make even more of my own gluten free flours in the future.
These cookies are super easy to make, you really just chuck it all in and mix up it. Try changing the walnuts for you favourite types of nuts in… or even replace the currants with chocolate chips! I am a big fan of flexible recipes. I have also used buckwheat flour with these before.
Make sure you wait for these cookies to cool down before devouring them, otherwise they will be a little crumbly!
Enjoy, and happy Vegan MoFo!
To make quinoa flour…
Place your quinoa grains in a high powered blender (I used my nutribullet with the milling blade), about halfway full, an pulse to grind them up. This can take a while, and keep tapping the blender to mix up the grains inside. Be patient and keep pulsing until the grains have turned into a fine powder. You could probably also use a food processor for this.
Heat your oven to 120°c, lay the flour out on a baking sheet, and bake the flour for 2 hours.
Store flour in a jar in the fridge or freezer to keep it fresh.
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground flaxseeds
- ¼ cup currants
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp non dairy milk (soy, almond, rice etc)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180°c and lightly grease a baking sheet, or use non stick baking parchment.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, sugar, salt and flaxseeds. Then stir in the currants and chopped walnuts.
- Mix together the milk, oil and vanilla then pour into flour mixture and mix well until combined. Using your hands, roll the dough into small balls about 2 inches across, then flatten with your palms and place on baking sheet. This mixture should make about 12 cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, and let cool completely before eating.
Makes 12 cookies.