This recipe is definitely a guilty pleasure. I enjoy making them as much as I enjoy eating them… but if you’re looking for a healthy recipe then this isn’t it. But where would be the fun in being strictly healthy all the time!
I can’t remember where the first recipe I tried for cinnamon scrolls came from, but over the years I have refined it and changed some parts to suit my tastes, and this recipe is the result. These are perfect treats for picnic’s, tea parties or cold rainy windy English Sundays where there’s nothing else to do. So enjoy, they may take a while with the rising times but these Cinnamon Scrolls are definitely worth the wait.
- 1¼ cup non dairy milk
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp fast action dry yeast
- 4½ cups plain flour
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp margarine
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ finely sliced pitted dates
- 1¼ cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- Heat the milk, sugar, salt and margarine on a low heat until the margarine has melted. Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Mix together the flour and fast action dry yeast in a bowl. Pour the milk mixture into a separate large mixing bowl and sift in half the flour. Stir until well combined with a wooden spoon. Then sift in remaining flour and start to knead into a dough with your hands. Once the dough starts to form turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth for about 4 minutes. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- To prepare the filling melt the margarine in a saucepan but do not boil. Turn off heat and stir in the sugar, sliced dates and cinnamon.
- Once the dough has risen, roll out into a large rectangle about 18×12 inches. Spread the filling evenly over the top of the dough.
- Take one of the longest edges and tightly roll the dough over itself until you reach the other end… the same way described on my Sundried Tomato and Olive Scrolls Recipe.
- When you have your long dough log take a sharp knife and slice log into approximately 12 cinnamon scrolls. Grease a high sided baking tray and place cinnamon scrolls inside approximately ½ inch apart. Cover with a damp tea towel or plastic film and leave to rise for 1 more hour.
- Once risen, preheat oven to 200°c and bake cinnamon scrolls uncovered for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Whisk up the icing in a small bowl. Let cinnamon scrolls cool for 15 minutes then drizzle icing over the top. I like to serve these cinnamon scrolls while there are still warm and gooey but are amazing once cooled also.
Yields 12 Cinnamon Scrolls