This recipe is probably my favourite cookie one so far, and its also gluten free! It’s not too sweet at all which I love, its holds its shape perfectly but still not dry. I found that these cookies were even better the next day, which makes them great for making ahead and taking to Christmas parties. I decorated these with vegan fondant icing and it was so fun to play around with, even though it did take a lot of practice!
So play around with them, get kids involved and enjoy!!! The dough can be stored in the fridge for up to 48 hours before using, just leave to sit to room temperature until rolling out and baking.
- 1¼ cups buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed, mixed with 1½ Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 6 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- In a small bowl sieve the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum and spices together
- In a separate larger bowl whisk together the ground flax seed and water until mixed and foamy. Then beat in the vegan butter, coconut oil and sugar until well combined. Stir in the molasses, vanilla and lemon zest
- Bit by bit stir the dry ingredients into the wet with a wooden spoon. Mix well, and get your hands in to form into a stiff dough. It should come together well, if its to dry add a little more coconut oil, ½ tsp at a time. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and leave to sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 170°c and line a baking sheet with grease proof paper. Lightly dust the worktop with flour, unwrap dough and gently roll out to about ¼ inch thick. Cut into desired shapes, place on baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Let cookies cool completely. Ice and decorate as desired and enjoy!
Makes approximately 12 2½-3 inch round cookies