This tart is lovely and refeshing as well as being very easy to make. I opted for a no bake crust with this as I kind of have a love hate relationship with pastry. I love to eat it, but recently I have no interest in making it. I used to love making pastry but I think my change of opinion has something to do with the lack of good quality vegan baking ingredients in Cape Verde. They have a number of vegan margarines here, but the label ‘fully hydrogenated vegetable oils’ seems to be used as a positive selling point for the product. Its not even kept in the fridge. The idea of trying to use this to make pastry repulses me slightly.
So here is my recipe for Coconut Lemon Tart, with a gluten free no bake crust. This tart would be perfect served with some vegan cream or fresh berries on top, and will keep for a day or two in the fridge
- ½ cup dates
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup desicated coconut plus a little more for sprinkling
- 200ml coconut cream (½ can)
- 1½ cups plus 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- ½ Tbsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp agar agar powder
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- Take all of the crust ingredients and pulse together in a food processor, until the mixture starts to clump together.
- Lightly dust a 10″ pie dish with coconut, then press the crust mixture evenly into the dish to make the base. Place in fridge while you prepare the filling
- Whisk the coconut cream, lemon juice, zest, maple syrup and agar together in a saucepan. Then mix the corn starch and water together and add to the coconut mixture
- Place on a medium low heat and gently heat the mixture to simmer slightly, whisking constantly. As it heats it should thicken. This should take about 8-10 minutes from start to finish
- Once the mixture has thickened, take off the heat and leave to cool for a minute or two. Pour into the prepared tart base and leave to cool. Once at room temperature cover and place the Coconut Lemon Tart in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or until ready to serve.