Matcha Green Tea has a bunch of awesome health benefits. It has antioxidant qualities, can help with detox, boost concentration and give you a natural energy boost without the usual side effects like hypertension and nervousness of other stimulants. I also really just like the flavour!
I have wanted to post a cupcake recipe for ages now, but could never decide what flavour to go for…. so I figured why not Matcha flavoured!
Where the ship is now I can’t get hold of any natural sweeteners or unprocessed sugars, hense why this recipe just calls for straight forward regular crappy sugar alongside something awesome like Matcha Green Tea powder. So if you make these at home feel free to swap that out for a more unprocessed sweetener. I will definitely be trying so when I head back home.
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup soya milk, or non dairy milk of choice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- Pre heat oven to 180°c
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and soda, salt, sugar and green tea powder.
- In a seperate smaller bowl mix the soya milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for a minute or two for the milk to curdle
- Add the oil and vanilla to the milk, then mix into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir the batter until just combined
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake cases and fill with batter 3/4 of a way up. I used extra large cupcake cases and got 10 out of this recipe
- Place in oven and bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden. Poke one with a bamboo stick, if it comes out clean they are ready
- Cool completely before icing
For the frosting….
- Place butter in a large bowl and cream with an electric whisk, or tough it out and beat it by hand if you don’t have the electrics like me
- Add the icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating and combining before adding the next batch, until you have lovely thick creamy frosting. Now mix in the vanilla and Match green tea powder until well combined.
- Decorate cupcakes as desired once they are fully cooled
Makes 10 large cupcakes