This side dish can go with almost anything and can quickly bulk up a meal when you realise last minute you havnt’t made enough food… something that happens pretty often to me with the amount of food a crew of hungry sailors can eat! It’s the perfect last minute dish and is absolutely delicious, I could eat this everyday. Its so versatile… serve as a side dish with other curry dishes, rice and flat bread, wrap up in a tortilla with chutney, vegan yogurt and salad, or just eat plain as it comes topped with tons on fresh coriander.
I like to make a big batch of this spice mix to store with my other herbs and spices so I can sprinkle it on other dishes… I particularly love it on oven cooked potato wedges. With this recipe I used chickpeas as I find them so versatile I always have a few cans stored away for emergencies.
- 3 Tbsp of Sambar Masala Spice Mix (recipe below)
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a non stick frying pan then add the chickpeas. Sprinkle on the spices and water and stir until the chickpeas are evenly coated.
- Cook over a medium high heat, stirring every now and then until the water has evaporated and the chickpeas are nicely browned and slightly crispy, about 5 minutes
- Serve topped with fresh coriander alongside different curries, in wraps with salad and chutney, or alongside sandwiches as a side dish
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
- 10 dried piri piri chilis
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp rice
- Lightly toast the coriander, mustard, cumin, fenugreek seeds and peppercorns for a few minutes until aromatic and you can hear the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Place all ingredients including toasted seeds in a blender/coffee grinder/pestle and mortar and grind everything into a powder.
- Store spice mix in a clean airtight jar.