This week I have been once again facing the perils of cooking without an oven, and in my mind all I want to do is bake. I made up the batter for these rock cakes with the intention of baking them traditionally in the oven. I had everything all ready and the oven pre-heating! Then disaster… Once again I heard the noise of the gas change, had a look underneath and saw the fuel pipe was on fire on the OUTSIDE! Argh ! The thing drives me crazy.
I was determined to not let the batter go to waste… Wasting food is not something that happens on these ships. There is a very well enforced rule of ‘if you put it on your plate… Your eating it’. So I grabbed my skillet and thought why not? It could work.
These delicious Skillet Rock Cakes were the result and can be enjoyed anytime of the day. We had them for an afternoon snack served with jam and vegan custard, then this morning I had the leftovers for breakfast.
Note: If you do happen to have a fully working oven feel free to cook these traditionally, either way they are delicious. Just heat the oven to 180°u c and bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 2 flax eggs (mix 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed with 5 Tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1-3 Tbsp non dairy milk
- Sieve the flour, cornflour, baking powder, mixed spice, and nutmeg and sugar. Add the margarine and mix in with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the good berries
- Stir in the flax eggs until a stiff batter forms. If the mixture is still very dry add up to 3 tablespoons of milk if needed. The batter should be a bit sticky but not at all runny
- Heat your skillet on a low heat and add a bit of Vegan margarine to grease. Take 2 tablespoons at a time of the batter, place in skillet and flatten the top slightly with wet fingers. Cook on a low heat for at least 6 minutes, until the top starts to dry out slightly and the rock cake starts to firm up and are golden brown on the bottom. Flip and cook the other side for another 6 minutes, maybe longer being careful not to burn the cakes
- The rock cake should now be golden and firm. Enjoy hot or cold with jams, custard, with vegan whipped creams or just plain as the come.
Makes 14-16 cakes