Its coming to the end of asparagus season here, so if you can get hold of some still you have to give this recipe a go.
This makes the perfect side dish to so many meals. Try it with lemon braised tofu or some kind of delicious vegan pie with new potatoes. Or just on their own is pretty damn awesome too. I have never really been a fan of asparagus until I tried it this way. The traditional boiled and smothered in butter I always found a bit boring and overrated.
This bunch we grabbed last week while we were on holiday in Derbyshire, straight off Bakewell market. Then just a little olive oil, garlic, lemon and salt is all else you need to create these little gems.
- 12 stalks of fresh asparagus
- olive oil
- 2 thick lemon slices/wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- sea salt
- pepper to taste
- Pre heat your oven to 180c.
- With a sharp knife cut off the woody ends of the asparagus and place in a ceramic baking dish scattered with the chopped garlic.
- Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil. Then take the two lemon slices and squeeze lemon juice over the top. Add the lemon slices into baking dish.
- Sprinkle the asparagus with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in pre heated oven and roast for around 30 minutes. Keep checking until it is delicious and crispy around the edges but not burnt. Serve straight away.
Serves 2 to 4