So here is just a little vegan cupcake recipe for Mothers Day. These were some cupcakes I made for a baby shower last week and everyone,whether omni or vegan, loved them!
The olive oil content of these cake keeps them from getting dry and the cake part is not too sweet, so is balanced nicely by the sweetness of the frosting. They are also again pretty straight forward to prepare… another case of simply mixing the wet and dry ingredients together.
Try to get hold of cold pressed olive and avoid using ‘pure’ olive oil or olive oil blends… in fact sometimes the cold pressed, though much better quality, is cheaper at the supermarket. I know this was the case at Tesco. Have a scout around and see what is available to you locally.
Have a lovely Mothers Day everyone!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 lemons worth)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prep your cupcake tray by lining with cupcake cases and preheat your oven to 180ºc.
- Take a large mixing bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and caster sugar.
- In a separate small bowl, using a fine grater or a microplaner, grate your lemon zest. Then using the same lemons and a lemon squeezer extract your lemon juice. Usually it’s about 2 large lemons for 1/4 cup. Trust me, get the zest before your juice them. .. the other way around doesn’t work so well.
- Mix together the zest and the lemon juice then add to the same bowl your olive oil, water and finally vanilla essence.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add the olive oil and lemon mixture into the large mixing bowl. Mix the wet and dry together well until you have no patches left and it is well combined, using a whisk it spatula.
- Evenly distribute your cake mix into your cupcake liners. You should end up with each one about 3/4 full.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup trex vegetable shortening ( or another vegan vegetable shortening)
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Add the vegetable shortening and the margarine into a medium mixing bowl and using an electric whisk cream them together until fluffy.
- One cup at a time, sift in 3 cups of the icing sugar/ confectioners’ sugar and mix together using the electric whisk.
- The icing will start to become stiff, so now add in the lemon juice and the lemon zest using the whisk.
- Finish by sifting in the last of the icing sugar and mix together until well mixed, light and fluffy.
- Place icing in the fridge until ready to use and the cupcakes are completely cooled.
- Place in icing bag with icing tip of choice and ice the top of the cupcakes as desired.